Heavy desserts are just less enjoyable during the summer. For a refreshing bite of sweet, we suggest this delicious (and simple) strawberry and mascarpone fool.
A “fool” is a classic British dish that is made by folding pureed fruit into custard or (more modernly) whipped cream. Our version gives the classic dish an Italian twist by using balsamic vinegar and creamy mascarpone cheese.
3 pints of strawberries (hulled and sliced)
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons Il Villaggio Aceto Balsamico di Modena
8.8 ounces Il Villaggio Mascarpone cheese
1 cup of heavy cream (well-chilled)
1. Place strawberries in a large bowl with the sugar and balsamic vinegar. Toss to coat evenly.
2. Let strawberries sit for 1 hour at room temperature (allowing them to soften and release juices)
3. Set aside one cup of the strawberry mixture.
4. Using a food processor, combine remaining strawberry mixture and the Mascarpone cheese and puree until it is completely smooth.
5. In a large, chilled bowl, beat heavy cream until peaks stand stiff.
6. Fold in the Mascarpone mixture gently but thoroughly.
7. Divide the reserved strawberries among six dishes, then spoon the cream mixture over it.
8. Let the dishes chill for at least one hour, serve, and enjoy!