A classic family favorite, baked ziti is an Italian comfort food that will make any foodie smile.
Rich and full of melted cheese, few dishes are as satisfying as a heaping plate of cheesy ziti! Il Villaggio cheeses offer the authentic Italian flavors you need to make this Italian classic the right way. Our Mozzarella, Ricotta and Parmigiano-Reggiano add irresistible flavor and the delicious authenticity of real Italian ingredients.
Follow our exclusive baked ziti recipe and you will end up in Italian cheese heaven! Note to meat lovers: Add 1 lb of cooked ground beef or sausage to the tomato sauce and follow the rest of the recipe as is. Adding meat makes for an incredibly satisfying dish. Vegetables like onions, peppers, zucchini or eggplant are fantastic additions to baked ziti, too. Just sauté vegetables in olive oil for a few minutes until they soften a little, and then add to your ziti mixture before baking.
1 lb. ziti pasta
2 Jars of your favorite tomato sauce
1 ½ lbs. grated Il Villaggio Mozzarella cheese
14 oz. Il Villaggio Ricotta Salata Toscanella cheese
4 oz. grated Il Villaggio Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
½ cup panko breadcrumbs
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning (parsley, oregano, basil)
- Boil ziti pasta until almost cooked (will finish cooking in oven.) Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix ziti with 1 lb. of mozzarella, parmigiano-reggiano, ricotta, and tomato sauce. (Save a few spoonfuls of tomato sauce.)
- In a large baking dish, put remaining tomato sauce on bottom to prevent sticking, and then add the pasta mixture.
- Sprinkle remaining ½ lb of mozzarella cheese on top, followed by ½ cup of panko breadcrumbs.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes in a 375 F oven until cheese is bubbly and golden brown.
- Sprinkle Italian seasoning over baked ziti before serving, and enjoy!