Midsummer Mozzarella Sandwich
Have just one bite of this beautifully layered sandwich and you won’t want to put it down. Thick slices of milky Mozzarella, pancetta, heirloom tomatoes and avocado are stacked between the crusty ciabatta roll with chunky olive presto. For an extra layer of flavor, drizzle balsamic vinegar on your sandwich. Truly this is midsummer night’s dream!
- ½ cup kalamata olives, pitted
- 1 cup Italian parsley leaves, (well packed)
- 1 cup basil leaves, (well packed)
- ½ cup pine nuts
- 1 small clove garlic, sliced
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 slices pancetta, thinklu sliced (about 8 oz)
- 1 load ciabatta or foccacia bread (about 1 lb.)
- 2 small avocados (about 8 oz each), thinly sliced
- 2 medium heirloom tomatoes (about 5 oz each), thinly sliced
- 12 oz Il Villaggio Mozzarella Cheese, sliced into 12 pieces
At a glance
Recipe type: Sandwiches
- In a food processor, process olives until finely chopped; transfer to a small bowl. In the processor add parsley, basil, pine nuts and garlic; process until finely chopped. Add oil and process until almost smooth. Add to olives and blend well.
- On a large rimmed baking sheet, broil pancetta 6″ from heat fir 6-8 minutes or until crisp.
- Cut bread into 4 sections, then slice each section in half horizontally. Spread 2 Tbsp. olive pesto onto each bottom half. Arrange avocados, tomatoes, pancetta and Mozzarella on top and spoon on any remaining olive pesto.
Tip: Omit the pancetta from this recipe and you have a delicious vegetarian sandwich.