Classic Il Villaggio Potato Gnocchi with Parmigiano-Reggiano cream sauce
Simple, hearty ingredients make this classic gnocchi a meal to remember, especially the delectably creamy cheese sauce.
- 2 ½ pounds russet potatoes
- 1 ¾ cups all purpose flour, plus a little extra
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Coarse salt, to taste
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 tbsp butter
- ⅔ cup grated Il Villaggio Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
At a glance
Recipe type: Dinner
- In a large pot, cook potatoes in boiling salt water until tender. (approx 35 minutes) Once potatoes are cooked, immediately peel skin and pass potatoes through a ricer onto a flat work surface. Let potatoes cool.
- Sprinkle potatoes with flour and 2 tsp salt, then top with beaten egg. With your hands, carefully work flour, egg, and potato mixture into dough.
- Knead dough until smooth. However, do not overwork dough or it may become chewy. Add more flour if dough starts to become sticky.
- Create 8 equal sized portions of dough, then roll each portion into a ½ inch thick rope. Cut each rope into ½ inch pieces and you have gnocchi!
- Gently press each gnocchi with the back of a fork to create ridges.
- In a large pot, cook gnocchi’s in boiling water until they float to the top. (approx 2-3 minutes)
- Toss with warm sauce and serve!
- Heat cream, garlic, salt, and pepper in a saucepan over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, then add Parmigiano-Reggiano. Stir occasionally, until the cheese has melted into the sauce.
- Add butter and stir continuously until melted and sauce has thickened.
- Pour sauce over gnocchi and enjoy!